Each office must have technical or financial documentation that cannot be simply thrown into the trash can. it contains non-public data. For the disposal of documents, special paper shredders are usually used. We will tell you how they differ and suggest the 10 best models.
Depending on the profile of the activity and the amount of paper used in it, as well as the type of media, different devices are used for shredding sheets. Therefore, in any company, the question immediately arises, how to choose a shredder? To begin with, it is worth deciding what volume is planned to be processed daily or once a month in bulk, and only taking into account the required performance, proceed to the selection of the appropriate model of the shredder.
On the market, such devices are quite widespread and completely different models can be found in stores. How to choose the right device for you? We recommend that you first estimate the operating parameters of the equipment and then proceed to solving the problem, which shredder to choose.
- Time of continuous work. If in the office there is no need for a continuous process of getting rid of classified documents, then you should immediately pay attention to office devices such as for working with pauses. This technique has a small basket that fills slowly. At the same time, high capacity shredders have huge baskets that can be filled in a few hours or a couple of days. In any case, such devices have overload protection, which prevents damage to the devices.
- The number of sheets simultaneously fed. This setting depends on the weight of the paper, although these devices are usually set for 70-80 g / cm². These data are indicated in the equipment passport and can be either 5 sheets or 40 sheets at a time.
- Motor power. The industrial version is suitable for archive destruction, in other cases less powerful engines are needed. When choosing, it should be borne in mind that at the limit of its capabilities, the shredder will not be able to work for a long time.
- Performance. It is offered in the range from 100 pieces to several thousand sheets per day.
- Integration. Powerful devices require connection to a fixed power grid. Some models function through a computer USB port connection. Models of small performance operate on batteries in the form of batteries.
Below we will tell you what a paper shredder is in terms of the work ahead for it. First of all, you will need to decide which shredders are better, because much depends on the type of exterminator. Here are five scenarios for using this device. This will clearly identify the best shredder for your office.
- Archival. It is used for processing a significant amount of paper, cutting floppy disks, discs, bank and other plastic cards. It is used in mega-companies of the corporation format, large government organizations at the ministerial level. The shredder’s capacity reaches 2000 sheets / day, non-standard sheet sizes are cut, a high level of secrecy is required. The powerful equipment is able to work around the clock, almost without interruption.
- Shredder for grinding paper into printing dust. The shredding parameter is chosen the smallest, because documents are disposed of, which often contain commercial, state or military secrets. At the exit, a dispersed fraction is obtained, which is not reduced into a single whole. Here it is good to destroy materials with seals, data with the stamp “secret”, which are issued for familiarization with a narrow circle of people.
- Shredder for an ordinary office where strict secrecy is not needed and integration into a specific room or department is not required. This model is used in firms where one-time loading is up to 40 sheets.
- Shredder for office use. It can simultaneously accept up to 20 pieces in a tray. Suitable for a company with a small staff number of employees who need a shredder periodically. The size of paper placed in the tray is A3-A5. Depending on the models, it is able to work with floppy and CD-disks, plastic cards.
- Shredder for personal use. On average, it accepts up to 10 sheets at once. The small size device is suitable for office and home use. The minimum degree of secrecy (1-3 levels) is needed only in order not to store waste paper documentation.
How to choose a shredder in terms of paper cutting method? There are only two methods for cutting paper and paper cards.
- Banded (parallel). Cutting is carried out into strips of a certain width. It is used for documents that do not need careful shredding, it implies 1-2 levels of secrecy.
- Cross. The knives are aligned and at an angle to each other. The paper in the shredder goes through a thorough shredding, the particles are small, depending on the level of secrecy (the higher this level, the finer the final product becomes).
Secrecy of documents
The answer to the question of which shredder to choose the level of secrecy depends on how secret information is contained in the documents.
- P1. No special level of confidentiality of correspondence is required, it is enough to cut paper and plastic materials into strips 10 mm wide.
- P2. It implies the release of folders from orders, internal orders, correspondence between departments, contracts with clients and partners, according to which it is impossible to determine the financial policy and general cash flow of the company. Striped shredding of paper 5-6 mm wide is allowed.
- P3. In addition to thin strips, grinding into fragments up to 6 cm long is used here.
- P4. Designed for important documents that should not be in the general field of view.
- P5. Increased secrecy in working with papers used only by certain departments of the company or by specific specialists.
- P6. The degree of secrecy is maximum and affects state interests, patented developments, and the military industry.
Additional Information! For ordinary office work, 3 or 4 classes will be enough. It will provide proper protection for the document. For top secret documents, grades 5 and 6 are used. The first two classes will help you destroy unnecessary waste paper that is not secret.
- Reverse return system. If you accidentally “put under the knives” the necessary document or suddenly the knives have ceased to perform their functions, moving the paper back will allow you to pull out the recyclable material and start the equipment back into operation.
- Smart function with automatic paper feeding. Its essence lies in the self-activation of cutting tools after placing the crushed raw material in the receiving hole. Upon completion of work, the shredder enters “sleep mode”.
- Counting function. The machine counts the sheets in the stack to determine the number of pages recycled.
- Display. Shows the current and final parameters of operations related to filling the urn, the thermal mode of the shredder.
- Automation. Aborting the process when the urn is overfilled.
- Control. Window for visual check of the basket completeness.
- Auto protection. Tripping of shutdown at critical temperatures of heated parts of the shredder.
- Built-in videos. Needed for high-performance models of devices. They help to take out the trash can for emptying.
- The noise made by the exterminator. The sound is considered relatively comfortable of 60-65 dB. A louder sound will interfere with communication with colleagues, visitors, partners when meeting in the office and telephone conversations.
Shredder maintenance and repair
- Lubrication of cross knives, regardless of the monolithic type, is carried out 1-2 times a month. The paper is taken, on which the lubricant specified by the manufacturer is applied in arbitrary lines, then it is sent to the shredder. Machines with shredding cut do not need regular lubrication.
- Sheets of sheets, books with paper clips, staples, springs can damage the shredding system, except for those goods that allow the presence of metal and plastic elements. This is stated in the attached documentation and pictorial icons placed on the shredder body. For such purposes, only knives with laser sharpening, made after hardening the steel material, are suitable. Their additional processing increases the cost of destroyers.
- Do not shred documents with laminated film, thick stickers with an especially sticky adhesive layer, three-layer cardboard. Cutting them will result in the remaining paper sticking to the knives, which are difficult to clean.
- Do not insert the maximum number of sheets. If you are shredding a large stack, it is better to slow down the work speed by reducing the paper load by 20% of the cutoff value. The same applies to the destruction of CDs, CD-analogues.
To extend the life of the shredder, before buying, find out how well the motor is protected from fine dust that forms as a result of the cutting process.
The Best Paper Shredder Consumer Reports 2020
1. Fellowes Powershred 99Ci
With this cross-cut shredder, you can shred up to 18 sheets for every pass into 397 particles. It has energy saving features and can shred for 30 minutes before requiring to cool down. Other than paper, this machine will shred DVDs, staples, credit cards, and junk mail hassle-free. It features an advanced jam prevention system for continuous operation. When the hand touches the paper opening, the safe sense technology automatically disables the shredder. You will love the power and efficiency in ensuring the security of your documents.
2. AmazonBasics Paper and Credit Card Shredder
Shred up to 6 sheets at a time into small particles for document security. This shredder can destroy ATM cards, credit cards, and statements. This includes any unwanted information you do not want to fall into the wrong hands. You do not need to remove staples from paper as it can eat through all that.
3. Fellowes Powershred 79Ci
The machine shreds silently and is energy efficient. Experience the power of this shredder which can handle 16 sheets at a time. It turns paper sheets into 397 small unreadable particles. Safely shred DVDs, CDs, staples, credit cards and any office paper to safeguard your information. It features three levels of advanced jam prevention. The 2-gallon pullout bin can carry much waste before you have to dispose of it.
4. Bonsaii EverShred
Imagine shredding up to 18 sheets at a go; even the busiest home user can shred lots of documents very fast. The machine cuts DVDs, staples, and credit cards to smithereens and in a low noise operation. It can run continuously for 60 minutes due to the advanced cooling system and its patented cutting technology. Its four casters allow for easy relocation as desired. Enjoy seamless shredding with this advanced shredder. The 6-gallon wastebasket ensures you do not have to empty after a few shreds.
5. AmazonBasics 24-Sheet Cross-Cut
This machine can destroy various materials in your home or office into thin strips very fast. Its LED indicators show when it is overheating, overloaded, standby, and door open. The 7-gallon bin carries much waste, ensuring you do not empty frequently. It will automatically shut off if it exceeds the normal temperatures. You cannot imagine having a powerful 24-sheet shredder at home.
6. AmazonBasics 12-Sheet High-Security Micro-Cut
Keep your sensitive information secure by using this heavy duty home shredder. It can micro-shred paper for 8 minutes continuously followed by a 45-minute rest. It features an automatic overheating shutoff. The shredder has a large 6.7-gallon bin that can shred 60 sheets before requiring emptying.
7. AmazonBasics 6-Sheet High-Security Micro-Cut
This machine shreds paper and credit cards into tiny pieces. It can run continuously for 3 minutes, followed by a 30-minute cooldown. All our shredding needs can be accomplished with this 6-sheet shredder at home. No more tearing or throwing bank statements in the trash. It features a large 4.1-gallon waste bin and thermal protection auto shut-off.
8. AmazonBasics 15-Sheet Cross-Cut
With this 15-sheet shredder, you can comfortably shred large volumes of paper fast and conveniently. The powerful cross-cut shredder can turn paper, DVDs and credit cards into confetti. It features auto-off, reverse, and forward functions. It is jam-free and shreds paper into micro- parts for higher security.
9. AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Strip-Cut Paper
When using this 8-sheet Amazon shredder, you do not need to remove staples. It can destroy CDs/DVDs and even your unwanted credit cards. With a speed of 9.84 feet per minute, you do not have to wait long for it to destroy your sensitive documents. It can work continuously for 2 minutes then cool off for 15 minutes.
10. Bonsaii EverShred C169-B 14-Sheet Cross-Cut
Experience the power of Bonsaii EverShred. It can run for 30 minutes no stop destroying up to 3500 sheets. It only requires a 10-minute cool off time before restarting work. It is designed for bulk work, little rest time and efficiency. It features jam protection system to save time and effort. It will handle up to 14 sheets at a time and shred at a speed of 5.9 feet per minute. Its large 8.7” slot can accept all letter and legal-sized documents.
The review of the best shredders is over – it’s time to take stock. We tried to collect the maximum amount of information on each of the models, including the functional part. I would like to believe that after a careful study of our article, you will be able to choose the best model for yourself, which is ideal for your conditions.
Most commonly, paper jams occur when too much paper has been loaded into the shredder at one time, or the wrong material (such as cardboard) has been loaded into the shredder. It can also often be a sign that the shredder needs service and it is time to lubricate the knives with an oil sheet. In order to avoid jams, carefully read the instructions that come with each shredder.
Each shredder model has a different continuous working time. Continuous run time is the number of minutes the shredder can run before the cooling break. After this time, the shredder will automatically stop to cool the engine. This safety measure is designed to prevent overheating of the engine.
Shredders can easily shred A3 sheets by simply folding them in half. Most importantly, carefully monitor the maximum number of sheets that can be destroyed at a time and remember that a folded A3 sheet is equal to two A4 sheets.