Electric skillets are a type of frying pan that gets plugged into an outlet. They prepare meals without the use of a stovetop. These versatile kitchen appliances come in different shapes and sizes. Before buying one, there are a number of factors that you should consider. Each electric skillet serves a specific goal. If you know what you want, then the shopping process will be easier.
Five Factors to Consider When Purchasing an Electric Skillet
- Budget. The first thing to think about is your budget. Determine how much money you have to spend on the skillet. Setting a price range helps narrow down the options that you can’t afford. Never purchase an electric skillet just because it’s inexpensive. The same thing goes for choosing the most expensive one. You are more likely to find a good one when keeping an open mind.
- Size and Shape. Once a budget is set, pick a size and shape. Since electric skillets are made in a number of ways, there are multiple options to choose from. Most skillets are between 10 and 16 inches in diameter. When picking a size, figure out what kind of food you will be making. Not only that, but you also need to determine how much counter space you have. As for the shapes, they usually come in square, rectangular or oval.
- Cleaning Method. How an electric skillet is cleaned is another important factor to consider. If you don’t like to wash dishes by hand, then pick an electrical skillet that can be placed in the dishwasher. Not all skillets are dishwasher safe. In fact, some can only be cleaned with solution and a rag.
- Temperature Controls. You will also want to think about temperature controls. Some skillets have a high and low heat option, while others have a warm setting. Picture the way you prepare meals to figure out how to incorporate temperature controls into your cooking. If you like to deep-fry, then you will need a skillet that can reach at least 450 degrees. Skillets that only go up to 400 degrees are good for stir-frying.
- Cooking Style. In addition to temperature controls, you will also need to think about your cooking style. If you cook a lot of soup and stew, then you should choose an electric skillet with a glass lid. This allows you to view the contents of the pan without lifting the lid. Since soups are generally cooked at a low temperature, you don’t want to release heat by removing the lid. If you make meals that only take a few minutes to cook, then a plastic lid will be fine. Besides that, imagine how much residue your meals leave behind. If you leave behind a lot of residue, consider getting an electric skillet that is made from stainless steel.
- Glass Lids. Glass lids are an ideal feature because they allow you to see food through the top of the skillet. You don’t have to remove the lid to check on your food. As a result, the heat stays locked inside and the cooking process doesn’t get interrupted.
- Drainage Spouts. Drainage spouts are another great feature to look for. They allow you to pour out the broth or grease from your meal. This makes the cooking process easier. You won’t have to worry about accidentally dumping your meal in the sink while you’re draining the grease. Not only that, but it also makes the process safer.
- Locking Lid. A locking lid is another component that is worth the extra money. It makes it easier to transport your food from location to the next. If you’re moving the electric skillet from the kitchen to the dining room, a locking lid will make the process seem effortless.
- Non-Stick Coating. Non-stick coating is also a must-have feature. The skillet should have a non-stick feature on the inside, as well as the outside. Your food won’t stick to the pan, which will make it easier to clean. In addition to that, look for an electric skillet that is made of warp-proof material. Warp-proof pans are more durable and last for longer.
- Adjustable Steam Vent. Find a model with an adjustable steam vent on the lid. The vent helps ensure that no liquid spills occur. Without an adjustable steam vent, pressure begins to build. This causes liquid to leak out of the sides of the electric skillet.
- Heat-Resistant Handles. Heat-resistant handles are also a useful feature. Since you won’t need to use an oven mitt, they make the cooking process simpler. Not only that, but they are also safer than regular handles. You can pick up the skillet without burning your hands.
When shopping for an electric skillet, look for one with high sides. This will allow you to accommodate larger amounts of food. Along with that, higher sides make it easier to deep-fry and braise. If you have awkward food shapes, they are more likely to fit better in a high-sided pan.
The Best Electric Skillet Consumer Report 2021
Cuisinart CSK-150 1500-Watt Electric Skillet
Large numbers of us have grown up seeing our moms utilizing a skillet to cook an assortment of culinary pleasures. An electric skillet effectively cooks delicacies going from mouth watering flapjacks to scrumptious throw broils. Furthermore, that is correctly the motivation behind why most youthful home makers favor having their very own electric skillet. In case you’re hoping to purchase your first electric skillet or on the off chance that you need another one to supplant the current skillet that you have, at that point search no more. The Cuisinart CSK-150 1500-Watt Electric Skillet is the thing that you’ve been searching for.
This appliance has several features that will probably make you want to get it right away. These include:
- The 1500-watt electric skillet provides a 12 by 15 inch nonstick cooking surface that is made from brushed stainless steel. The very mention of a nonstick surface invites heads up from prospective buyers. However, that is not all. The large surface is an added advantage that is hard to find in many other electric skillets in its price range. The wide surface of the pan helps in even cooking of the food; It also heats up wonderfully.
- The electric skillet has a temperature control dial with indicator light that easily adjusts from warm to 450 degrees F.
- The Nonstick Oval Electric Skillet has an excellent design. The pan is huge. It has relatively high 2.5″ sides. This is an important feature when it comes to cooking large quantities of food. The ingredients can be allowed to simmer without popping out of the pan. Another advantage is that it’s really easy to clean the skillet’s surface which doesn’t take much time.
- The electric skillet has a glass see-trough lid which makes it really easy to gauge the cooking stage. In addition, the glass lid has a stainless-steel rim with large handles which makes it really easy to carry the skillet from one place to another.
- The Cuisinart CSK-150 1500-Watt Nonstick Oval Electric Skillet is dishwasher safe, which should bring an instant smile on your face. You also get an instruction/recipe book with 30 recipes so you can cook whatever suits your tastes.
- The electric skillet measures approximately 17 by 13 by 9 inches and comes with a 3-year limited warranty as well.
With so many pros, it’s really difficult to make out the cons. However, there are a few you need to know about. Such as:
- The steel handles of the skillet are made of steel which makes it easy to grab. However, the downside of this is that they can become very hot and can potentially burn you if you’re not careful.
- The glass lid has been found to be only slightly “domed”, making it difficult to cook foods such as roasts.
The pros overwhelmingly beat out the cons, making the Cuisinart CSK-150 1500-Watt Electric Skillet a great choice for anyone in need of a high quality, durable home electric skillet.
Cuisinart CSK-250 GreenGourmet Electric Skillet
How many of us have a kitchen appliance that we bought that we thought we just had to have, only to have it sitting in a cupboard somewhere, collecting dust? Probably most of us. Well, this isn’t one of those. This is a very useful kitchen appliance that you really will use and enjoy for a very long time. Let’s go over some of the great features and benefits that this electric skiillet has to offer.
- Good Heat Distribution – This electric skillet does a good job of distributing the heat evenly across the entire cooking surface. It doesn’t focus all of the heat just in the center or the outer rim, so you’ll get food that’s cooked evenly, without burned or undercooked spots on it.
- Great for Buffets – The Cuisinart CSK-250 is especially great for parties and gatherings, or whenever you plan to have guests over and you need to serve a lot of people. It’s a fairly large skillet so it will allow you prepare a large quantity of food. And on top of that, this electric skillet has a feature that keeps the food warm, so you can just plop it on top of a table or counter, set it to “warm”, and just allow your guests to serve themselves, buffet style. It’s a very convenient feature to have.
- Glass Lid – The CSK-250 comes with a great see-through lid, which is a must-have feature since it allows you to see the food as its being cooked.
- Nonstick Surface – The interior of this electric surface is coated with a special and unique ceramica material that Cuisinart created just for this electric skillet. It has a very “slippery” surface, and you will hardly ever have to use much oil or other cooking lubricant, as you just won’t need to. It also does not contain any PTFE or PFOA like a lot of other skillets out there, which makes this electric skillet very environmentally safe and safe to use.
- Lid Design Needs to Be Improved – We feel the lid could’ve been designed a little better. We found that when cooking food, steam would rise and accumulate underneath the lid and flow over to the rim of the pan, causing it to spill over the counter and the sides of the skillet (perhaps a bigger vent opening could be the solution to this problem). It’s not too big of an issue, but you’ll have to make sure you always have something on hand to clean up spills with when cooking foods that have a lot of liquid ingredients in them when using this skillet. Of course, you won’t really have this problem when frying or sauteing food.
It’s absolutely worth buying, and in fact, it’s one of the best electric skillets on the market. Not only is it a high quality product, but it’s got Cuisinart’s name attached to it, so you know right off the bat that you’re getting an excellent product. As far as price goes, it is on the higher end of the scale, but like the saying goes, “you get what you pay for”. And if you want to get a quality appliance like Cuisinart CSK-250, you’re going to have to pay more than your typical, cheap electric skillet. If you value quality, then there’s really no need to hesitate on this one – get this skillet because you won’t regret it.
Presto 06852 16-Inch Electric Skillet
One of the must have appliances in your kitchen is the multi-purpose Presto 06852 16 Inch Electric Skillet with Glass Cover. This glass covered electric skillet is one of the better electric skillets on the market. It is an extremely versatile piece of equipment and can be used for roasting, griddling, baking, braising and much more. This jumbo sized skillet is easy to use, clean and maintain.
It is especially great for when you want to serve food buffet style right from the skillet as it can keep food warm for as long as you want. You will find that is very easy to cook food in the skillet with virtually no sticking as it is made with heavy-cast aluminum with a non-stick surface that is vastly superior to the Teflon that you would find on other, cheaper electric skillets. In addition, clean-up is a cinch – just place the skillet in your dishwasher or wash it by hand.
Buyers of Presto 06852 16-Inch Electric Skillet with Glass Cover are simply thrilled with their buy. They can use it for roasting, cooking, baking, grilling, frying etc.
- Check how food is cooking
- Accurate temperature control
- Get a perfect simmer
- Easy to clean
- Heats up very quickly
Although the Presto 06852 Electric Skillet is sturdy, avoid soaking it water for long periods.
Some issues experienced by users were:
- The need to tighten the leg/handle from time to time
- Center is a slightly cooler than the edges
- Lack of rubber feet to avoid sliding
There was also a very small number of people who complained that the non-stick coating began peeling off, but the vast majority of customers did not have this problem. It’s important to note than when using an electric skillet, you must always remember to use it with utensils made of plastic or silicone, never metal, as it can cause peeling.
Overall, the Presto 06852 Electric Skillet is a great product and consumers rate this product very highly.
Tips on Using Your Electric Skillet
For those of you who’ve already made the leap and bought an electric skillet, here are some tips to keep in mind when cooking with your electric skillet at home. Following these suggestions will help ensure that you get the most out of your electric skillet, and it will help you protect your newly acquired investment, so that it will last you as long as possible.
- If your electric skillet has Teflon or a non-stick coating, then use a wooden spatula. Always make it a point to stick with the wooden utensil. Otherwise, you may scrape the coating. Use care because the Teflon can get into your food. Not only that, but a wooden spatula ensures that the non-stick coating lasts for longer.
- If your electric skillet has non-stick coating, make sure to clean it with a mild detergent. If there is stubborn grime on it, then you may need to let it soak in water over night. This is the best way to loosen dirt. Don’t damage the surface while cleaning the skillet.
- Preheat the skillet before adding any oil. If you have a stainless steel electric skillet, let it preheat on low for five minutes. After that, you can add the oil and increase the heat to medium. This method ensures that your food is cooked properly.