A chainsaw is a special tool used for sawing and further processing of wood. In most cases, a chainsaw is a universal chain saw that is equipped with a two-stroke engine. The structure of the headset of a chainsaw includes: a chain, which consists of links having various shapes and sizes, closed in a ring; a tire (a metal plate to which the chain is fixed); sprocket wheel. The fuel used is a special mixture designed for two-stroke engines of gasoline and oil.
The variety of chainsaws running on gasoline will make even a professional think today. For a simple buyer who chooses such a technique for the first time, there are even more questions and risks to purchase a not-so-good device. We will try to prevent this from happening in our ranking of the best chainsaws in 2020, which was compiled taking into account customer reviews who have already managed to assess the advantages and disadvantages of the solutions described.
Currently, all chainsaws can be divided into three classes:
- Household – used for harvesting firewood, cutting small bushes, creating simple wooden structures;
- Semi-professional – suitable for longer and more frequent use, up to several hours a day;
- Professional – designed for builders and lumberjacks, this technique is used for industrial purposes.
Criteria for evaluation
- the real cost of the chainsaw;
- profitability and traction characteristics of the drive;
- level of technical equipment; in some cases, maintainability and interchangeability of spare parts with similar designs of other brands.
The 10 Best Chainsaw For Home Use
GENERAL PRINCIPLES FOR CHOICE OF CHAINSAW
Each tool, regardless of the name and scope, has its own resource. For all, without exception, engines running on gasoline, the resource is calculated by the number of hours worked. For household chainsaws, which are mainly used at home or in the country, this figure is up to 500 hours, for professionals 1.5-2 times higher.
Depending on the frequency and duration of use, saws are classified:
What else is worth considering when choosing the best chainsaw?
- Power should be compared with the volume of the engine: the higher the degree of forcing, the more the resource usually suffers. It is hardly worth chasing after buying an amateur model with a short tire.
- The length of the tire is a fairly clear distinction between classes: it is possible to cut firewood also short, but a short saw is both easier and more convenient to transport, but you will have to look for a professional model with a long tire for serious felling.
- The effectiveness of protective devices is important even in an amateur model: no one is safe from accidental biting of a chain and a strong jerk, be sure to check how the brake works by choosing a saw in a store.
- The type of chain adjustment should also be made one of the priorities: be sure to evaluate both the convenience of the regulator and its strength. It is not worth chasing a large power reserve: a strongly elongated chain is much more likely to burst, which is extremely dangerous.
- Fuel consumption indirectly affects usability: a smoky and poisonous air even wants to throw the saw in the wind.
- The type of lubrication mechanism is more convenient, of course, automatic, but you should immediately ask about the reputation of a particular model – are there any problems with it?
Of the other important characteristics, the following should be noted:
It determines the depth of cut, as well as the thickness of the log (blank), which can be sawn. The maximum tire length directly depends on engine power, the longer it is, the greater the resistance to rotation of the crankshaft will create a chain when moving. Due to a lack of power, the engine will experience additional load, which leads to increased wear on the engine and headset, as well as an increase in fuel consumption. In the technical description, the manufacturer usually indicates the maximum recommended tire length, for household models it usually is no more than 40 (less often – 45) cm, for professional chainsaws it can reach 70 cm.
However, it must be taken into account that the tire length must be consistent with the saw power. With insufficient engine power, additional efforts will have to be made when sawing, and this will inevitably lead to premature wear of the saw headset and engine, as well as to an increase in fuel consumption.
Professional chainsaws can be equipped with tires with interchangeable heads, they have a longer service life.
Working with a chainsaw, especially for a long time, is associated with heavy loads on the hands, especially when it comes to professional models that have a lot of weight. In addition, an additional load creates a constant vibration that occurs during engine operation. With prolonged use, it can cause circulatory disorders and severe joint diseases, so the presence of an effective anti-vibration system (especially when it comes to professional chainsaws) is a very important factor influencing the choice of a particular model.
In household models, in order to reduce the price of chainsaws, rubber shock absorbers are usually used, which are installed between the body and the handle. An additional reduction in vibration is achieved through the use of special materials in the manufacture of pads on the handles. In professional chainsaws, a different principle is used – they separate the engine block from the fuel block and the handle block. In addition, metal springs are used instead of rubber shock absorbers: they are more durable and do not lose their properties in the cold.
A kickback is a rebound of a working saw towards a person, which can occur when the end of the saw bar meets the wood being processed. To avoid injury, the circuit must be quickly stopped, this function can be implemented in two ways:
Special (inertial) brake – is a lever-guard with 2 positions. When starting the saw engine, this lever is located close to the hand, in the event of a back strike, the hand automatically presses the lever, which immediately blocks the movement of the chain;
Additional shield – serves to protect the operator’s hands from contact with a dangerous mechanism when the chainsaw is running. It is installed at the end of the saw set, in the technical description you can also find its other name – the protective sector. This method is less common than an inertial brake.
They serve to increase productivity and work comfort:
easy start – simplifies the establishment of the saw by reducing the resistance of the starter. In addition, professional models often have a carburetor heating function – it makes it easy to start the engine even at very low temperatures;
access to the air filter without the use of an additional tool – simplifies and speeds up the process of servicing a chainsaw;
Keyless chain tension control system (without special tool).
An important indicator, first of all, for professional chainsaws, although the operator is still recommended to work with special headphones.
One of the most common mistakes made by buyers of chainsaws is the choice of a model that does not meet the intended purpose. To care for the garden, repair wooden structures and similar needs, it is not at all necessary to overpay for a professional tool designed for intensive daily use. A good household chainsaw is your choice. Have a good shopping!