Manufacturers of various electronic devices offer a wide range of devices with wide functionality.
Flagship smartwatches from well-known manufacturers can easily replace a fitness tracker, payment card or even a smartphone.
Apple is considered the most famous brand.
Smartwatches from this brand are at a high price point and are standalone devices with many options.
How to choose and what to look for?
It is not easy to buy a good smartwatch, because when choosing such a device, you have to take into account many characteristics.
Below we will consider the parameters of these electronic devices, which are definitely worth paying attention to.
- Commutation. Smart watches are synchronized with mobile devices. This is usually done via Bluetooth. After pairing the watch with the phone, the user receives various notifications: about incoming calls and messages, letters from e-mail, etc. To work properly in pairs, smart watches require the mandatory installation of a special application in a smartphone or tablet. But here it is also worth remembering that some watches are compatible only with certain brands of phones, for example, Apple Watch only syncs with Iphone.
- Display. There are currently four display options: OLED, IPS, E-Ink, and monochrome dot display. Apple primarily uses OLED displays, which provide better viewing angles, high contrast and deep blacks.
- Management interface. At the moment, smart watches use three control options: touch, push-button and a combination of the first and second types. This manufacturer focuses on the touch type, since it is considered the most convenient.
- Operating system. Some manufacturers equip smartwatches with an operating system, but this is not always the case. Some models, when paired with a smartphone via Bluetooth, do not have their own OS, and therefore do not support the installation of additional applications. Others work on an adapted operating shell, and here there are already several options. For example, Apple Watch runs on iOS.
- Applications and functions. Before buying, you should immediately check the built-in applications in the smartwatch. Depending on the buyer’s goals, certain applications will be important for him, for example, physical activity monitoring programs will be more important for athletes, and a built-in music player for music lovers. The satellite navigation function (GLONASS, GPS, etc.) allows you to track the location of the owner of the watch in real time on the map, as well as trace the required route. … Another interesting feature is the payment system. But here it is important to take into account the type of support for such a system: NFS – about 10% of terminals are equipped, so difficulties may arise when paying; MST – Suitable for 90% of terminals.
- Battery. It is always worth paying attention to the battery life of the device. The larger it is, the longer you will be able not to resort to recharging the smart device.
Now you know what characteristics you need to pay attention to when choosing and buying an Apple Watch so that it best suits your needs and expectations.
Which Apple Watch to Choose in 2021 Consumer Guide
Three models. Hard choice.
On September 15, Apple showed two models of its watches at once: Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch SE.
Meanwhile, the hopes of many to snatch the fifth generation at a reduced price did not come true – Apple simply “killed” this watch. The reason is not too much difference between the last two generations. As a result, buyers have the following choice: Series 3, SE or Series 6. Which watch should you choose?
Dimensions and screens
Let’s start with the obvious: the size of the watch. All three models are very close to each other, and SE and Series 6 are generally identical in size. But the difference with the old watch is visible only upon close comparison – the shape of the S3 is slightly different from the new models, and the old watch is 11% thicker:
Each of the models is available in two versions: large and small. The Series 3 has a large 42 mm body and a small 38. The SE and Series 6 each have two more millimeters, which is 44 and 40 mm respectively.
Such a slight increase in the size of the watch made it possible to enlarge the display by as much as 30%. And it was he who became the most obvious difference between the fourth, fifth, sixth generations and SE from the third:
The smaller Series 3 have a screen resolution of 272 × 340 pixels. The small SE and Series 6 have 324×394 dots. The “large” parameters are as follows: 312 × 390 versus 368 × 448 pixels for S4, S5, S6 and SE.
All displays have a maximum brightness of 1000 nits. In all three cases these are OLED displays, but the SE and Series 6 have LTPO OLED. Plus, the new watch models have abandoned Force Touch – a technology that allows the watch to determine the force of pressing the screen. In my case, this is not the most requested function, to be honest.
The Apple Watch Series 6, like the “five”, has an Always-On Display.
A watch is first and foremost an accessory, and only after that it is a “smart” device. Therefore, it is not surprising that they are chosen for their colors.
The old Series 3 have two colors: Silver and Space Gray. The SE has the same color set, but there is also a gold one:
The back wall of the third generation, by the way, is made of composite. SE and Series 6 have sapphire crystal and ceramic.
The sixth generation of watches has five colors at once. Blue and red(PRODUCT) RED have been added to the three SE colors:
We are talking, of course, about the straps. And here they are unified: straps from large watches of any generation can easily fit large watches of other generations. The situation is similar with small straps.
Older Apple Watch Series 3 runs on an S3 chip. This SoC has a dual core processor as well as 768MB of RAM.
The new Apple Watch SE received the fifth generation watch chip – S5. This system-on-a-chip works with a 64-bit dual-core processor. Apple says it’s twice as fast as the S3. The amount of RAM is unknown, but definitely not less than 1 GB, as was the case with Apple Watch Series 4 or Series 5.
The sixth generation watches received a completely new system-on-a-chip – S6. It also houses a dual-core 64-bit processor, which the company claims is 20% faster than the S5 processor. The amount of RAM is also unknown.
The SE and S6 have 32 GB of internal memory, the S3 has 8 GB.
As for the battery, the situation is still unknown, but it is expected that the watch will last as long as previous generations – up to 18 hours. These are the official figures announced by Apple for all the latest generations, including the fourth that I have. However, I charge my Apple Watch Series 4 before the second night, that is, the watch lasts a day and all the next daylight hours. And this is with two bike rides a day for 40 minutes each – I turn on the workout, and the watch activates the GPS, which significantly eats up the battery level.
18 hours is with hybrid use. Here’s what Apple itself says about it:
One day battery claim is based on test results that confirm 18 hours of battery life under the following conditions: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and 60 minutes of workout with Apple Watch music playback using Bluetooth technology. During all 18 hours of testing, the Apple Watch Series 6 was connected to the iPhone via Bluetooth. Testing conducted by Apple in August 2020 using preproduction Apple Watch Series 6 units paired with an iPhone; pre-release software was installed on all tested devices. Battery life will vary depending on settings, usage and many other factors; actual running time may not be the same.Apple
The same text with minor changes goes about other models on sale – SE and Series 3. So, apparently, if you do not use GPS often, then you will definitely be enough for two daylight hours.
However, with the new watch, Apple decided to take care of the environment and abandon the included power adapter. In the box you will find only a watch, a strap, and a magnetic charger with a USB-A cable:
By the way, with the watch of the sixth generation, relatively fast charging appeared: up to 80% in 1 hour and up to 100% in one and a half! For the S3 and SE, these figures are 1.5 and 2.5 hours, respectively.
All watches show the time, record your workouts, have an NFC module for payment, send notifications from an iPhone, you can also dive to a depth of 50 m with them, measure your heart rate, they can unlock your Mac after you wake up from sleep and activate when you lift your hand.
The main advantage of the Apple Watch Series 6 is a dedicated blood oxygen sensor. The measurement data can be found in the “Blood oxygen” application:
The watch also received a U1 chip. And by analogy with the fifth generation, the watch received an always-on screen and an ECG module.
Both new models received an always-on altimeter, while for the S3 it must be turned on separately.
Like the fourth and fifth generations, the new models have an improved speaker compared to the Series 3, a microphone that works in the Noise application, a second generation optical heart rate sensor, a compass, Bluetooth 5.0, and a fall detection function.
I am not very clear why buy Apple Watch Series 3. The main argument is a very pleasant price. But this is not the most pleasant bezels, small display and lower performance. On the other hand, why does a watch need performance?
The Series 6 is worth taking … Well, if you really need to measure the level of oxygen in the blood. Or I really want a red or blue watch. Or you just want the top-end watches.
Watch Series 3
Apple Watch SE
Apple Series 6
I love Apple Watch. This is an amazing and rather strange device, the meaning of which is difficult for me to explain. When my friends ask why they are needed, I honestly answer that I do not know. But I add: if you ask me not to wear them, it will be very difficult for me, it will be a very long withdrawal. There is time, workouts, convenient music volume control, payment, unlocking your computer!
I like blue and red watches, but silver in my case or black (I don’t like this color) in someone else is a more versatile option for this accessory. Therefore, I look towards the Apple Watch SE. This is a very cool and understandable watch for me.
On the other hand, if Apple released an expensive ($ 600 dollars) round watch with a good battery that lasts three times longer, I would be one of the first in line for this Apple Watch. This is straight top and break. And if they still have a sensor for determining blood sugar … In general, the company has room to move, occupying an even larger market share among wearable electronics.